Thursday, October 21, 2010

Shut up and wait! :)

So, I'm suppose to be doing homework right now. But, I feel this is just as important.

This is some words of advice to the clueless. Which, I'm not far from clueless myself. I was just slapped in the face with reality not to long ago. I mean a good hard smack right in the middle of my forehead.

So, first off. I would like to say. When I finished Fighting Destiny I was like 'hey, I better send this into some publishing company and see if they want it.' Wrong. No, I suggest, no advise anyone looking to get anything published find a good agent.

Another problem. When looking for an agent DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Seriously, yes, I know it sounds boring as crap, but it's not. For myself I looked for an agency looking for immortal series, and I fond TA DA "Lori Perkins Agency," yay! So, after sending my query in by email I recieved a email that night from Marisa. Yeah yeah! She's a boss. Which, asked for a synopsis and a partial. Then, wait for it..... the entire manuscript. Okay, so I was thinking what's next presenting it to the company. Snicker Snicker. No silly.


Next step. Perfection. Being who I am, I have SO MANY GRAMMER MISTAKES. And that is the stage I am at now. editing. Letting Marisa read over to see if I need a professional editor. If you're a new writer I will say that you will do a lot of WAITING. But, believe me trust your agent and it will be rewarded. I know this. Well, I'm getting there at least.


So. Another important thing to add. Make a beast of a query letter, which there are steps to that online. I'm not an expert to tell you this, but pull your agent (whoever is reading it) in by making a beautiful and perfect first sentence. You need something that will pull them into your world, and spit them back out when they are finished reading, but they will be thristy for what happens next. HAHA, Thirsty like a vampire.


Anywho. Just some thoughts I had on my mind while I was supposed to be doing my Meterology Homework. Oh, well the weather can wait.



Kisses,

Brittany Boo

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm a bit unexperienced in this area of querying. I've done my research, and sent out queries. But, now what? I would love to know the steps that a lit agent goes through when considering a MS for representation. While the writer is waiting, what's going on behind closed doors? That would be interesting to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great idea for a blog. I will work on getting together a process that agents go through, which I'm pretty sure every agent does it differently, but I could show how the Corvisiero Literary Agency works. Thanks for the idea, and I will work on getting a blog out there! :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! :)